The Secret for Easily Getting Coaching Clients

After struggling for several years to get clients myself, these are the secrets that literally changed how easy, how fast, and how many clients I got, and, NOW, how easy, how fast, and how many for my clients who are coaching struggling to get clients.

It actually makes it EASY to get clients.

Here are the rules:

Rule 1 — Don’t Do’s

This usually shocks everyone because it flips what you believe about marketing upside down, but it will also flip your results to super sizing them.

Marketing is never about

  • You
  • Your products/services
  • Your processes/what you do

 

Rule 2 — Do’s

It is always about what your clients want

  • Results
  • Value of those results
  • The bigger the value the faster they snap it up

Another point: we want our marketing to cause them to chase after us, and we can stop doing the chasing. That’s another flip upside down on our beliefs.

This may still seem a little strange, but the bottom line is, we have all heard people start off in a networking event TELLING you the name of their company, what they do. You see that’s all about them, but their customers want only “what results do you deliver” and “how big, how fast, how much money will you make me?”

 

Rule 3 — Finding Ideal Client

You should approach only your ideal client who

  • Already looking for you (are you out trying to pitch to everyone)
  • Has the money
  • Will quickly spend the money WHEN you show them results and how valuable it is.

Don’t waste time trying to tell everyone in the world about you. Marketing that works the best is about approaching those who are already looking, not you doing the chasing. Your life and business will change overnght, I guarantee it

Most coaches tell everyone “what they do” which is about them. Compare “I am a coach” to “I help engineering companies to make $100K more in 3 months or less”. Do you have any doubt about which will work best?

One problem for coaches, and almost all small businesses, is that we all see about 3,000 marketing items every day, TV/Radio ads, direct mail, websites, billboards, etc. And here’s what you must understand. 99% of them don’t deliver any, or many new clients. Yet, we have been trained that what we see there IS MARKETING that works. I guess it is marketing, but 99% of them don’t work. That means that if you attempt to copy what everyone else is doing, well, you are likely putting yourself into a 99% chance of failure. The key is to learn what the 1% does that works. And that’s what I’m sharing with you here.

I’ve done both sides of this, and measured the difference. On my website, doing it the way everyone else does it got me about 1 interested prospect out of 1,000 visitors, while using the new approach gets me a little over 10%, and sometimes a lot more.

Let’s compare a couple of examples. One is a doctor who is networking, and let’s compare that to several approaches that most coaches use. Each step we take, will get 10 to 100 times more prospects than the previous one, I’ve measured them.

Let’s also look into what this doctor does and who his idea client is. He’s a prostate cancer specialist, and looking for new patients. Not terribly different from a coach who wants to find new prospects. In fact they both sort of repair, fix, or improve something, right?

 

 

As Most do it

Most say, “I am a coach”, or for this doctor he might say “I am a doctor.”  Both are standing right in front of their ideal client but let’s see how, or if, they’ll attract that person to listen to them.

The doctor says “I am a doctor”, but the person standing right in front of him has been to 50 doctors over the last several months, and has been told that she probably has less than 3 to 6 months to live. She has pancreatic cancer, and she has already seen many many doctors, so one more general practitioner isn’t going to help her. This “I am a doctor” turns her off.

And the coach gets a very similar response.

Both are breaking rule #1 which is to not talk about themselves, their products, what they do, etc.

 

 Stepping up to slightly better level, but barely.

Next, the coach and the doctor add clarity. They say something like, “I am a cancer doctor” or the coach says “I am a business coach.” Clarity is always better because now it starts to IMPLY something, but only if the prospect knows what you are implying, and they probably don’t.

So, this is still about the coach, and the doctor, and not about the prospect.

 

Next Level, more clarity

Rule 1 was about not talking about you, your products, or your services. While Rule 2 was about what to do, it’s about what your prospect wants.

This time

  • I am a oncologist who works with cancer patients.
  • I am a coach who works with struggling business owners.

Notice that we are taking another step about clarity, but this is still clarity about what they do, which is still talking about themselves and what they do.

These are typical statements by coaches, and most small business owners.

 

Now Let’s move toward “what they want”

The doctor says, “I am an oncologist who works with pancreatic cancer patients who’ve been told they have less than 6 months to live”

The coach says, “I am a business coach who works with struggling engineers who are struggling to survive.”

Now, stop and notice something. This is the FIRST statements that moved from talking about what the doctor, or coach does themselves, and has moved to what concerns the prospect or patient. This time it talks about what the ideal client deals with. It’s about them.

I’ll guarantee that this will be a BIG leap. Probably from almost no one responding to many responding.

 

And Finally, the killer approach

The doctor says, “I am an oncologist who works with pancreatic cancer patients who’ve been told they have less than 6 months to live And about 80% of my patients walk out CURED in 3 months.”

Have any doubt whatsoever that if this doctor is standing in front of his ideal client that that client will literally fall down at his feet and BEG him to help them? Neither do it. The difference is that this is about “RESULTS”, and a “VALUE”, how big are those results, how important, how valuable.

How would this work for a coach. Well, who is your ideal client, what is their struggle, what kind of result do you deliver to them, and how big, and how valuable?

Something like, “I work with small engineering companies to help them reach another $100K+ within 3 to 6 months.”

Now, you, coach, have to fill in the blanks with your target client, your results, and what is the value. I will guarantee that you’ll see clients jumping into your lap.

 

As an example,  how do you typically respond to a sales call? I’d bet you hang up in about 2 to 3 seconds after discovering it is a sales call. Why, because they all start with, “Hi, this is Ajax XYL Company (about them), can we talk to the owner please”. You immediately hang up….because you haven’t heard anything that interests you.

A few weeks ago I got a phone call that followed the approach I suggested. The call started this way, “Hi Alan, I saw that you are a business coach, and I have a client that is also looking for a good coach. Can we talk?”

Would you hang up on that. They start with your name, not there’s. They start by talking about what YOU do, and what you are looking for, clients, and even offer you one. But what’s interesting is that during the call, they mention that they have a whole string of new clients looking for a coach, but only for a really good coach.

Of course, I’m suddenly on the defensive, I have to prove to them that I’m THE COACH The whole world turned around. But, let’s stay on track.

It turns out they are a lead generation company for coaches. If they had started out with the traditional, their name, etc. I would have hung up in 3 seconds. But by talking about me, and what I want, I actually was hanging onto everything they said, and put me in a position to sell them instead of them selling me. In any case, since they do provide leads for coaches, we talked for several weeks until they could prove they could deliver.

Get the Idea?

Notice how when you talk about them, results they want, and a big value, that the prospect could actually BEG you to help him? You aren’t doing the chasing any longer, they now chase you to get you to help them.

Alan Boyer
Helping coaches/consultants add another $100K to $1M within months and to stop struggling to get clients

Author of upcoming book, “Secret to $100K Coaching/Consulting: and easily getting a fast and steady flow of clients”

 

 

Get Your Free Ebook

Charles AlvarezAfter our very first session I landed a big oil & gas services client . . . and another after our second. Alan is the best coach I've ever had.

Charles Alvarez
Cornerstone Business Academy

Cheri WilliamsBecame #1 in sales among 800 in national sales team within 6 months of starting to learn sales when being coached by Alan

Cheri Williams
FireflyzDesign

Geof Carter. . . have doubled my own client base in
a matter of three months.

Geof Carter
Business Break Through Secrets

Jason Garey...doubled the growth of my business within a few short months of engaging Alan.

Jason Garey
G4Coaching

Get Coaching Clients
6 Pemford Place
Liberty, MO 64068
Telephone: +1-816-916-6141
Email:
Phone: 816-916-6141