Getting Tons of Coaching Clients by Giving It Away
I was just having a conversation with a group of coaches and national level speakers about whether ever to do anything free. Many said that by giving it away they thought that it devalued what they sell.
Then they are doing it WRONG. Zig Ziglar once said “Find enough people to help get what they want, and you’ll have everything you ever wanted.”
So, how do you get lots of coaching clients while giving it away for free? Easy.
One of my rules is that you NEVER EVER do anything without a significant target Return on Investment (ROI) in mind. So, even if you are going to do something for free what is your target ROI?
To get a significant ROI requires that you KNOW what value you are putting into it for both you and for your prospects . . . Make it EXTEMELY VALUABLE for your prospects . . . but leave them seeing that that is only a small taste of what’s to come. Then leave their mouths watering . . . “More, give me more!!!”
And how much value are you giving now?
Here’s a very valuable tip on those two questions.
If you assume you are giving this for free, don’t assume that what you give shouldn’t be VERY VALUABLE. The more value you give the more people will want it. If you tone it down you’ll not attract anyone.
The more value you give, the more you’ll get. The higher the value perceived they have received the more valuable you will become to them.
Don’t leave them thinking that they don’t need more from you, or that they’ve got their WHOLE SOLUTION.
However, that doesn’t mean that you give away EVERYTHING. Use your giveaways as teasers. There’s a couple of ways of doing that.
1) Let them experience a mind blowing aha from just one hour with you as a step toward full blown coaching.
2) Or give them a series of smaller, but equally mind blowing, “If you did ‘A’ like one of my clients, then you could have X times more business”
No matter what you give them, always leave them with the thought that there’s so much more. That if they got this much in an hour, what would it be like after many hours with you. Get them actually thinking, “I learned something that could increase my business by $5,000 after just one hour, so after 10 hours that would be $50,000, after 100 hours thought could be $500,000!” Get them monetizing their time with you, their ROI.
If you are looking for a full-blown coaching client that would spend $1,000+ per month, then give 1/2 hour to 1 hour of your “How to grow a business in $100K steps” and give that aha moment that blows their mind, that they had no clue that that would work so well, at least until you just shook their tree.
DO NOT coach them for an hour!!! Help them discover a mind blowing, jaw dropping, OMG never ever thought of that . . . That’ll change my life and business FOREVER!
For instance, I usually show them how to develop a marketing message that does change their business. It usually turns them from getting fewer than 1 client every few months into people begging them to help them. And then we discuss the value.
If they realize that this is just the first step, then OMG they want that because they see so much more value out there.
- By the way, what are you worth?
- What is your OMG, mind blowing, jaw dropping series of results?
For many of you we have talked about just one value, maybe it’s your overall measurable result that you now define as “what you do.”
But let me challenge you to have a whole list of them.
It bugs me when I talk to coaches and consultants, that most have never even found one, let alone dozens. Most coaches believe that they “just coach” and somewhere along that path they will find something to help their client “become better.” That term “become better” drives me up a wall.
What does “become better” mean? Is it 10c, $1, $100K, $1M, $10M? Or for life coaches is it turning a street person into someone who can eat more often, or is it turning anyone into a life changing, achieve anything, marriage changing, children changing new life?
In developing a business, I’ve discovered that there are so many opportunities to MULTIPLY results 100’s to 1000’s of times every time we touch marketing, sales, employees, revenues, profits, and on and on, that I could talk for days on end about an OMG Mind blowing result at every step.
So what’s yours?
Let’s work on it and watch your prospects line up outside your door begging you to help them.
The Rules for Giving Away Something for Free
- Make it mind blowing, jaw dropping valuable.
- Give them a TASTE of it, the first step, or series of small steps, knowing full well THERE’S MORE, lots more! Or leave them thinking, “That’s GREAT, but it’s only the first step of 10 needed to get that solution.” Or, what I show them, “knowing how” is not “becoming good at getting the result”, and there’s dozens of “shoot yourself in the foot” mindsets that everyone has that you’ll need handholding to get through.
- Get them to monetize it, or define HOW VALUABLE it is, and then ask them if they got that in an hour, what would they get in the next 10 hours, 20 hours, taking the next steps?
- Make sure they actually put a measurable value on that. Get them to write it down, or say it out loud. It has to be THEM not you defining that value.
- Then ask them if they want it? How bad do they want it? What would their life be like after getting it?
Never give “coaching” away as free and expect them to snap it up. Give them a taste of value and be careful, you could get hurt with the stampede when you get this right.
Helping coaches, consultants, trainers reach another $100K to $1M within months and to stop playing in the kiddie pool when attracting new clients.